Smell gas? 0800 002 001

Evolve hosts Carbon Monoxide Workshop in support of Gas Safety Week 2023

Evolve hosts Carbon Monoxide Workshop in support of Gas Safety Week 2023

Posted: 12 Sep, 2023

Evolve has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (11th – 17th September 2023) through the hosting of an informative Carbon Monoxide Workshop in one of the gas network operator’s key towns.
The event, entitled ‘Safeguarding your clients from Carbon Monoxide risks’, took place at The Junction Conference Centre in Dungannon on 7th September, and featured speakers from Evolve, Gas Safe Charity, Kier, and the Consumer Council.
The discussion with approximately 40 attendees embraced various subjects, including the identification of carbon monoxide risks in households, frontline experiences with carbon monoxide, cost-saving strategies on bills, the intricacies of grant funding, and addressing the needs of vulnerable customers.
This year, Gas Safety Week focuses on celebrating the breadth and diversity of gas engineers and the essential role they play in keeping the nation gas safe, as well as educating the public and sharing guidance to help them remain safe. This includes discouraging unqualified DIY attempts on gas appliances and raising awareness about the warning signs of malfunctioning appliances.

Dominic Scullion.jpg 936.67 KB
Dominic Scullion, Safety, Health & Environment Manager with Evolve, said: “The Carbon Monoxide Workshop proved to be a great success, and we were delighted to hear from Gas Safe Charity, Kier, and the Consumer Council, all of whom have pedigree on this important issue. The safety of the public and all those who work with gas is a key priority for Evolve, and this event aligns perfectly with the upcoming Gas Safety Week, which we are proud to support every year.”
Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive Officer for Gas Safe Register, said: “We’re delighted to see so much support for Gas Safety Week 2023 - now in its thirteenth year. This year we are celebrating the breadth and diversity of gas engineers, their skills, and experiences, which help to keep the nation gas safe all year round. And we’re reminding the public of the importance of always using a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to fix, fit or service gas appliances.”
Keep up to date with Gas Safe Register’s updates and advice throughout Gas Safety Week by following @GasSafeRegister on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and search #GSW23 and #GasSafetyWeek.  
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:

  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Look out for warning signs your appliance may be unsafe, such as a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, error messages or unexpected noises from your boiler or dark and sooty stains around your gas appliance.
  • Make sure you leave vents unblocked as these are there to help your appliance work safely and efficiently. 
  • If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour Northern Ireland emergency number immediately on 0800 002 001.
  • Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • If you’re having your annual safety check, only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to carry it out.
  • Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
Gas Safe Register is the official register for legally qualified engineers. You can find a registered engineer in your area by visiting the Gas Safe Register website at